Hardy Hibiscus problem

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Qui-Gon Grin
antispam: no
city_state: Ruherford, New Jersey

Hardy Hibiscus problem

Post by Qui-Gon Grin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Hello all,
At the start of this season I planted a Turn of the Century Mallow Hardy Hibiscus and everything was going well until a few weeks ago. The plant was blooming and then one day nothing. Upon inspection it looked for all intents and purposes like someone had taken a pair of pruning shear and cut the stems behind every bud cluster.
Doing my own research the only pest of hibiscus that I could find is the Sawfly. However my research indicts that the damage done by Sawfly larve is the skeletonization of the leaves. The leaves on my plant are fine and do not exhibit any damage. Does anyone know what insect I'm dealing with here so that I could be prepared for next year?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Hardy Hibiscus problem

Post by lorijones » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 am

Are the flowers and buds completely gone or are they laying on the ground below the plant? If they are completely gone, my suspicion would be that deer are browsing on your hibiscus. Hardy hibiscus are listed as occasionally severely damaged by deer and I imagine the tender buds are tempting to them! If the flowers are laying on the ground below the plant, I'm not sure what would be causing the problem. BUD drop is more common and could be caused by an environmental issue or by insect damage possible from thrips. Normally this wouldn't affect mature blooms only the buds. Feed your hibiscus in the fall and spring with Plant-tone and water them deeply every 10 days or so during the growing season if you don't get natural rainfall.

Qui-Gon Grin
city_state: Ruherford, New Jersey

Re: Hardy Hibiscus problem

Post by Qui-Gon Grin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi Lori,
I could see the fallen buds on the ground. I do not have any deer in my area. I'm going to take your recommendation that is an envirmental problem and feed it with plant tone and be on the look out for thrips. What would be a recommended treatment for thrips?
I should have mentioned this before, but my next store neighbor also had the same problem occur with their first year hardy hibiscus, while a few blocks away hardy hibiscus plants continued to bloom.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”