Blackberry Lily

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Maye
antispam: no

Blackberry Lily

Post by Maye » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Lori, Do you have much expierence with blackberry lilys? I was at a daylily garden and they had one of these lilys, I really liked it they gave me some seeds, then I checked on the internet and it had some negative comments in regards to it being invasive, I've had enough problems in the past with invasive plants that I thought I loved, I don't want a repeat any advice would be welcome. thank you, I live in central Penna.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Blackberry Lily

Post by lorijones » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:30 pm

I think blackberry lilies (Belamcanda chinensis) are really neat plants. We have grown them here at Viette's for years. I'm sure they will seed in the garden but I've never known it to be invasive in Andre's garden. The seed pods are very attractive when they break open, so if you are worried about it seeding in the garden, just harvest the flower scapes with their blackberry-like seed pods and use them as decoration in a beautiful fall arrangement (or just toss them in the compost pile)!

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”