Problem With Pinks

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
lindaleon
antispam: no
city_state: Great River NY

Problem With Pinks

Post by lindaleon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 pm

:( Hi Mark...love your show. I have successfully had "pinks" in my garden - in the front of a fairly large rock garden, for about 5 years. This year I have had problems. I have been deadheading them - but the last time I did, nothing grew back. On one of my plants I noticed that it looked like there were a lot of ants in the middle. Could that have been that plant's problem? My other pink plant just stopped producing any flowers. I see a patch of a different color green in the middle of each (not the blue-greenish color that I am used to). Is this root rot? I have no idea what happened to these plants that I so love. Can you give me some advice? Thanks...Linda

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Problem With Pinks

Post by lorijones » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:31 pm

These Dianthus or Pinks require well-drained soil and full sun to perform their best. I think you may be right that the ants may be causing problems with the root system. Their tunneling can cause the roots to be exposed to air rather than being in contact with the soil. This would cause them to dry out especially in the center and they would not be able to take in water or nutrients. You can spray an ant control to get rid of the ants. Bonide, Bayer Advanced, and Ortho all have products that are listed for ant control. Be sure to read and follow the label directions. You should also liquid feed the plants to help them recover once you get rid of the ant problem.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”