hybrid daylillies

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
sd992707
antispam: no
city_state: Richmond, VA

hybrid daylillies

Post by sd992707 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Do hybrid daylillies get "old" and revert to their former forms? I have some hybridized daylillies that I got from my mother. Some are still peach colored, but others are blooming with a burgundy outer/yellow/inner flower. Puff

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: hybrid daylillies

Post by lorijones » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Sometimes environmental conditions can cause slight color changes in flowers but these changes are not permanent. Also sometimes a seedling can grow up next to a clump and have a different flower color than the original daylily but the original clump will not change colors. As clumps get older and are in need of division, the flowers are sometimes smaller and the color can be more faded. You may want to dig the clump and divide it to rejuvenate it. Replant the divisions in soil amended with compost, plant-tone, rock phosphate, and green sand. Here is a link that explains how to divide daylilies: http://inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=512.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”