Malathion burn on Hosta and ferns

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
jvw1951
antispam: no
city_state: Geneseo, IL

Malathion burn on Hosta and ferns

Post by jvw1951 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:50 am

My husband spraying for mosquitos made the mix too strong. My ferns are bronze, and many of my Hosta
are drooping, not discolored, just look like they are dry and wilting. I have watered the leaves several times with sprinklers on
I have several large hosta beds. Will they come out of it? Any advice on what to do. Many of my Hosta are quite mature and
gorgeous, and some are 2-3 year old and just getting to the beautiful stage. HELP~

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Malathion burn on Hosta and ferns

Post by lorijones » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Ferns are much more sensitive to pesticide burn that many other plants and are often used as indicator plants for pesticide damage. That being said, it is always important to follow the label directions when applying any pesticides and never use a concentration stronger than listed.
To avoid injury to your plants when you are spraying in the heat of the summer, always water the day before you plant to spray (unless you've had rain) to make sure the plants are hydrated. Spray injury is much more likely when plants are stressed due to lack of water. Spray injury can occur if you spray in the bright sun during the heat of the day because the combination of the heat and the chemicals can burn the foliage. Most chemicals should not be sprayed when the temperature is above 85°F or 90°F. During the summer, the best time to spray is in the early morning or in the evening.
The best advice is to cut back the injured leaves/fronds and leave any growth that is not damaged. If all the foliage is damaged, you can cut the plants back entirely. They will put up new growth but they won't grow as full this season. Next year they should be fine. Feed them with Plant-tone or Holly-tone and keep them watered. You could even give them a shot of Scotts Miracle-Gro to give them a quick shot of fertilizer.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”