distorted leaves on daylily

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
librenda
antispam: no
city_state: Plainivew, New YOrk

distorted leaves on daylily

Post by librenda » Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 pm

The leaves on the Flame of Love and Cherry Carnival (not all the plants) seemed to be coming in fine. But now I notice the leaves are twisted, some looked chewed on the edges. My own research seems to suggest Spring Sickness. But I cannot find any suggestion on a cure. Most of my research shows this is a little understood disease, and no known cure exists. Seems debate rages on using fungicides. Can you shed any light on the cause or cure? I bought the plants from Andre Viette's nursery in August 2006. I live on Long Island NY. And they have been beautiful until now!

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: distorted leaves on daylily

Post by lorijones » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm

What you are seeing is probably frost damage where the edges of the leaves are brown and look chewed on and the leaves are distorted. This is sometimes referred to as "spring sickness". Some daylily cultivars are more susceptible to this damage than others. There is no control but sometimes you can get a secondary fungal infection that can enter at the site of the damage. Distorted leaves can also be caused by aphids in the crown of the daylily.
Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease, & Mite Control hose end sprayer can be used to control aphids and thrips on daylilies plus many diseases like rust.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”