lilies of the valley

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
senoas
antispam: no
city_state: Altoona, PA

lilies of the valley

Post by senoas » Mon May 23, 2011 7:54 pm

I have many lilies of the valley around a big old maple tree. For years, the flowers (around this time) have been super. Last year, right before blossoming, we put mulch all around the tree and the lilies of the valley. We got no flowers. This year, I didn't mulch and the greenery of the lilies is terrific. I got three flowers. What should I do?

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: lilies of the valley

Post by lorijones » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Lily-of-the-Valley flowers buds are produced the year before. Your plants may benefit from an application of dolomitic limestone. This will slightly raise the pH of the soil. In our experience, Lily-of-the-Valley enjoys more alkaline conditions. Feed with Rich Earth and Plant-tone. We have found that some mulches may lower pH. The best mulch is long-lasting shredded pine bark or pine needles. Hopefully you'll have a good bloom next year!

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”