non-blooming peonies

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
kmcc54
antispam: no

non-blooming peonies

Post by kmcc54 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:56 pm

I planted, in the fall, 3 peonies that were all the same variety and in the same spot. Two have come up and bloomed with several stems. The third one is only half as tall and no buds or blooms. Should I dig it up and replant it higher or just wait? Also, should I cut off the first buds of the newly planted peonies? Thanks for your help. kmcc54, leesburg, va

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: non-blooming peonies

Post by lorijones » Thu May 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Just leave it to grow this spring and summer. It may not have been as large a division as the other 2 plants and may not have had any blooming eyes. Fertilize it with Plant-tone now and again in the fall. It should bloom for you next spring as long as it is getting good sun. If you need to move it, the time to do this is in the fall - you definitely don't want to do this now. Bare root peonies should be planted so that the eyes are about 3" below the soil surface.
There is no need to cut off the buds of the other peonies; just enjoy the bloom. You are lucky to have such a good bloom in the first year!

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”