perennials

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
acarol12
antispam: no
city_state: Livingston,NJ 07039

perennials

Post by acarol12 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Mark,
I have two large planters bordering my indoor pool. I want to plant perennials this year in both planters. In the past I have planted annuals, and they look very pretty. However, this year I would like something different. I want the plants not more than 6'' to 10" in height and, if posssible, flowering during the summer.
I looked in a few garden centers and found a few perennials I liked.

Dianthus "Red Dwarf" Eastern Star
Dianthus Chinensis Baby Doll
Campanula carpatica Clips White

I know very little regarding these plants.
I would like to know what you thing would be best in these planters. I don't have to use any of the above. I just want the planters to look attractive. A combination of two plants may work, I just don't know! I hope you can help me out with a few suggestions.
The planters get afternoon full sun and late day shade. Would mulch help?
I live in Livingston, NJ (zone 5)
Carol

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: perennials

Post by lorijones » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Carol,
How large are your containers? Depending on the size of you containers, you should plant 3-5 or even more plants per container. Generally they don't need mulch if they are planted and fill in densely enough and you keep them well watered. There aren't really any perennials that bloom all summer like many annuals will. The Dianthus have their heaviest bloom in spring and early summer and sporadic bloom after that. 'Baby Doll' may not be hardy for your area. Campanula 'White Clips' might bloom most of the summer especially if it is dead-headed. If you use perennials, you should pick some that have beautiful, colorful foliage when they aren't in bloom. Heuchera 'Obsidian' a very deep purple leaved coral bells would be a nice addition. Some of the Sedum varieties will give nice color and texture from foliage and flowers - Sedum 'John Creech' is a nice variety to try. Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue' and Scabiosa 'Pink Mist' are low-growing, long blooming perennials that will do well but may not be winter hardy in your area unless you provide winter protection for your containers. I just wrote a blog post about planting perennials in containers. Here is a link: http://viettes.wordpress.com/2011/05/27 ... %E2%80%A6/.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”