purple dandelion??

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Missvivienne
antispam: no
city_state: Massanutten, Virginia

purple dandelion??

Post by Missvivienne » Tue May 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to identify a plant that has come up in my flower garden for the last 3 yrs..I remember planting something similar but this has spread. The leaves are purple and look like dandelion leaves..kind of pointed and flat...but in the center are shoots coming up with little pink bells at the top...they remind you of coral bells but the leaves look like dandelion...I have taken pictures but don't see how I can attach one??

Can you help me identify this plant?? Many thanks..it's driving us crazy.

Vivian
Plant1.jpg
Plant1.jpg (377.03 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Plant2.jpg
Plant2.jpg (294.03 KiB) Viewed 929 times

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: purple dandelion??

Post by lorijones » Fri May 20, 2011 11:02 am

This plant is Salvia lyrata (Lyreleaf Sage or Cancerweed), which is a native of the US (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_lyrata). It has been hybridized and some purple leaved cultivars are available. One is 'Purple Knockout'. This looks very close to the one you have growing in your yard: http://www.abnativeplants.com/index.cfm ... lant_id=54.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”