Low Creaping Phlox

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
aheberer
antispam: no

Low Creaping Phlox

Post by aheberer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:03 am

I am in Roanoke Va and have 3 large holly trees, 25 ft tall, 12 feet at base. I am looking for a low perennial spreading ground cover with some color. The area under the hollys is shaded. I want something like a phlox as the blooms have great color. Any suggections?

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Low Creaping Phlox

Post by lorijones » Mon May 09, 2011 2:33 pm

It would be too shady under the hollies for the Phlox subulata. Vinca minor would be a good alternative for the shade. The evergreen foliage looks nice all year and the flowers are attractive. There is even a variegated form of Vinca minor. Another choice would be Lamium maculatum. There are several different varieties with beautiful silver/white variegated green leaves and beautiful flowers in the spring. Lamium is not evergreen so the foliage will dieback over the winter.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”