asters

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
alfarnhamjr
antispam: no

asters

Post by alfarnhamjr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:59 am

Can I plant asters now (Oct) and do I plant seeds to come up in the Spring, or are there bulbs for these. I have some shade & some full sun.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: asters

Post by lorijones » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:03 pm

This is a great time to plant potted perennials of all kinds. The soil is still warm and will remain warm for some time to come. You can plant seeds of asters in late fall or in the spring but it is often better to plant some of the hybrid asters that you can purchase in pots just because these cultivars have been hybridized for beautiful flowers and flower colors. These are vegetatively propagated from cuttings and will bloom true to color each year. Seed grown asters may not perform as well year after year or be as floriferous - just a thought. Be sure to plant them in your full sun area - they can get floppy and won't bloom as well if they are grown in shade.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”