Perennial Climber for Pergola

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
portlandrose
antispam: no
city_state: Washington, DC

Perennial Climber for Pergola

Post by portlandrose » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Just built a 10x12 foot pergola in my South facing backyard in Washington, DC. Want to plant a perennial that would grow quickly, look good and not be too messy below that would provide some shade for seating beneath. Since I'm new to the East Coast, not sure what plants would do best. After research I came up with Goldflame Honeysuckle, Silverlace Vine or Trumpet Creeper but would appreciate any suggestions of other plants that might work. Also, since the backyard space is small, I would love a tree or two, would a redbud tree planted in a large pot work, or are winters too cold? Thanks for any guidance.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Perennial Climber for Pergola

Post by lorijones » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:09 pm

You might also consider the climbing rose 'New Dawn'. It is vigorous, very fragrant, low-maintenance, and disease resistant. If you go with the Trumpet Vine, consider one of the yellow/orange varieties. I would not plant a redbud tree in a container. It would be best to plant it right in the ground. There are many beautiful small crabapple trees that would be nice in a small yard or even some of the small crape myrtles.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”