Day Lilies

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
ron buss
antispam: no
city_state: Massanutten, Va

Day Lilies

Post by ron buss » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Is it unusual for day lilies to 'not' bloom the first year after dividing and transplanting? I have divided and transferred every 2 years and have had blooms on all transplants until this year??? tx, Ron Buss

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Day Lilies

Post by lorijones » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:33 pm

It could be a climatic or environmental issue. The other reason could be the size of the division. Did you divide them into smaller divisions this time or divide them later in the year than before? We don't always get blooms the first year after we divide our daylilies - it usually depends upon the size of the divisions. Smaller divisions usually won't bloom the first year.

rdgrnnr
city_state: Monterey virginia

Post by rdgrnnr » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:27 pm

[Hello ; I have bought several hundred cultivars of hemerocallis through the years---most from Viettes.We are contemplating moving to the Kenai peninsula in Alaska to be near our son. I wonder how many of our daylillies could be taken with us-----such as Treasure gold;Lady Rebecca Staunton; etc? That is zone 3 for the most part.Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Sincerely ; Dr. Steve Vermillion[/b][/size][/size][/b]

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Day Lilies

Post by lorijones » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Daylilies should be hardy in Zone 3. I think that your daylilies would grow fine on the Kenai peninsula. The climate is somewhat moderated by the coastal influence. I would take as many as you can! They should do fine up there. What a beautiful place to live. My sister lived in Anchorage for 25 years. We all loved to go visit!

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”