CUTTING EVER BLOOMING DAY LILLIES BACK FOR 2ND BLOOM IN FALL

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
HOB
antispam: no
city_state: SEAFORD, VA.

CUTTING EVER BLOOMING DAY LILLIES BACK FOR 2ND BLOOM IN FALL

Post by HOB » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:11 pm

I THOUGHT ONE SATURDAY, I HEARD ANDRE SAY TO CUT THEM BACK TO A FAN SHAPE ?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: CUTTING EVER BLOOMING DAY LILLIES BACK FOR 2ND BLOOM IN

Post by lorijones » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:01 pm

He may have been talking about tall bearded iris. These plants with their wide flat foliage is easier to cut in a fan shape. The fan shape just makes it look more attractive in the garden - it is not necessary to cut them this way. As for the everblooming daylilies, you can just shear these with hedge shears or pruning shears. Cut them straight across at about 6" high to stimulate new foliage and flower stems. You can even cut them lower if you want.

HOB
city_state: SEAFORD, VA.

Re: CUTTING EVER BLOOMING DAYLILIES BACK FOR 2ND BLOOM IN FA

Post by HOB » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 pm

SO, IS IT NECESSARY TO CUT EVERBLOOMING DAYLILIES BACK TO GET THAT LAST FALL BLOOM ? OR SHOULD I LET THE OLD BROWN LEAVES STAY TO PROTECT THEM FROM THE COLD ? I LIVE IN SEAFORD [TIDEWATER ], VA.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: CUTTING EVER BLOOMING DAY LILLIES BACK FOR 2ND BLOOM IN

Post by lorijones » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:01 pm

If you want, it wouldn't hurt to shear them back now. They may bloom again this fall or they may not - it will depend on the fall temperatures. In your area of Virginia, they don't really need extra protection over the winter. It just makes the garden look neater when you cut back the browning foliage and you may get a bonus of fall blooms, too! But again - it isn't necessary to cut them back.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”