ferilized w 10 10 10 - spring

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
mciuro
antispam: no
city_state: sea isle city nj

ferilized w 10 10 10 - spring

Post by mciuro » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:28 am

I fertilized with 10 10 10 about a month ago and some of my plants died,like heuchera,( coral bells) and some plants that were fairly newly planted at that time. some are still struggling, anything I can do for the ones that are struggling?
would epsoma be good to fertilize in spring

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: ferilized w 10 10 10 - spring

Post by lorijones » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:05 pm

10-10-10 can easily burn foliage and roots if it is applied incorrectly or too heavily. This may be what happened to your plants. If you haven't had much rain, a good soaking with a sprinkler should help leach the excess salts out of the soil. In the future, use Espoma organic fertilizers like Plant-tone or Holly-tone to fertilize your plants. These fertilizers are slow release and won't burn the roots or foliage if it accidentally gets on the leaves. One feeding in the spring and another in the fall should be all you need to provide good nourishment for your perennials. Plus, these organic fertilizers add beneficial microbes and organic matter to the soil.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”