over wintering

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
mciuro
antispam: no
city_state: sea isle city nj

over wintering

Post by mciuro » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:47 pm

I have cana's and dahlias in containers.
can I keep them in the pots and bring them inside a cold basement with light or do I have to dig them up and put them in peat moss?

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: over wintering

Post by lorijones » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:07 pm

If your cannas and dahlias are already in containers, there is no need to remove them to store them in peat. You can store them right in the containers. Wait until frost has blackened the foliage, them cut them back to 4" - 6", and bring them inside. Store the containers at 40 - 50 degrees F and do not water them at all over the winter. They will be dormant so no need to provide light for them.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”