Blooming amaryllis

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Qui-Gon Grin
antispam: no
city_state: Ruherford, New Jersey

Blooming amaryllis

Post by Qui-Gon Grin » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:29 pm

My amaryllis bloomed in mid- to late March this year. I then put it outside for the growing season. Everything is going well. It grew eight leaves. I thought a ninth was coming, but it turned out to be a flowerstalk. The amaryllis currently is in bloom with two flowers and two buds. How will this effect the blooming cycle this coming winter?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Blooming amaryllis

Post by lorijones » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Is this a bulb that you have had for a few years or one that you purchased last fall? It must have been a large, healthy bulb to produce a rebloom in the late summer after blooming in March. I have heard of amaryllis reblooming in August after a late winter or spring bloom. It is hard to say whether it will have time to produce flower buds for this winter or not since it can take up to a year to produce new flower buds and stems.
I would keep the foliage growing as long as you can so it can continue to feed the bulb. Keep it watered and fertilized until the leaves start to wither away. At that point, stop watering, cut the foliage back, remove it from the pot, and dry the bulb at 70 to 80 degree temperatures. Two months before you want it to flower, pot up the bulb and water it but be sure you don't overwater. Hopefully it will produce a flower stalk or two. There is no way to really know - time will tell!

Qui-Gon Grin
city_state: Ruherford, New Jersey

Re: Blooming amaryllis

Post by Qui-Gon Grin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:36 am

Thank you Lori. This bulb I have had for several years, I'm guessing four maybe five years.
I'll follow your instructions and see what happens.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”