Fertilizing peonys

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
gardeningjoy
antispam: no
city_state: king george, virginia

Fertilizing peonys

Post by gardeningjoy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:35 pm

I have two separate peoney beds but only managed to fertilize one this past spring. Now that they all have finished blooming is it too late to fertilize those that didn't get fertilized in the early spring or should I just wait until Fall? I live in King George County, VA.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Fertilizing peonys

Post by lorijones » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:56 am

It is definitely not too late to fertilize your peonies. I would broadcast Espoma Plant-tone around the peonies that you didn't fertilize in the spring. Follow the recommended rate that is listed on the label. This will feed your peonies through the summer when they are developing the flower buds for next spring. Fertilize again in the fall when you fertilize the others.

veda6886
city_state: Gum Spring

Post by veda6886 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:00 am

Hello - I purchased and planted a peony from your nursery this past May. Although you gave me excellent directions, I did not follow them! I did not add the fertilizer you suggested. Now my peony is turning slightly yellow - looks healthy otherwise. Should I add fertilizer NOW considering we are getting ready to go through a very hot spell or wait until the fall? I live in Gum Spring, halfway between Richmond and Charlottesville. Thanks!

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:21 pm

The lack of fertilizer is probably not the cause of this yellowing. Your peony is probably beginning to go dormant with the heat and lack of rain we are experiencing now. If you haven't been watering it regularly during this dry spell, you should give it a good soaking now. I would wait and fertilize it with Plant-tone in the fall around October. Once the peony foliage becomes completely yellow, it can be cut back to the ground. They will come back beautifully next spring.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”