Withering Amaryllis buds

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Qui-Gon Grin
antispam: no
city_state: Ruherford, New Jersey

Withering Amaryllis buds

Post by Qui-Gon Grin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:06 pm

My amaryllis was a bit slow to bloom this year, but eventually it developed a flower stalk with four buds. So I was quite pleased. One bud opened, though the flower wasn't as large as in previous years and only lasted about 3-4 days, which was ok. However as soon as this flower wilted the other three buds, which I was looking forward to having open, started to turn brown. Within about three to four days all three buds had completely withered. What happened?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Withering Amaryllis buds

Post by lorijones » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Flower buds are set during the growing season after the previous year's flowering. Is this an amaryllis bulb that you have been growing for several years? Some reasons that bulbs don't bloom well is that during the growing season, the bulbs don't receive enough nutrients and aren't able to store enough energy to support a good bloom the following season. Also sometimes during the drying process, the pre-formed flower buds are damaged (become blind). Here is more info on this: http://www.viette.com/v.php?pg=693. Bulbs that attain a diameter of 3" to 6" wide will flower pretty reliably.
The best thing to do now is to carefully cut the flower scape off without damaging the leaves. Keep the bulb actively growing indoors and then, after nighttime temperatures remain consistently above 60 degrees, plant the bulb outdoors in the garden or place the potted bulb outside in a sunny location. Feed the bulb with Espoma Bulb-tone and a liquid fertilizer occasionally over the growing season. Sometime in August or September, dig and dry the bulb for 2-3 months. Repot the bulb in early December after removing some of the old roots. Here is a link with a few tips on growing amaryllis: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=434.

Qui-Gon Grin
city_state: Ruherford, New Jersey

Re: Withering Amaryllis buds

Post by Qui-Gon Grin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks Lori. The amaryllis is 4 or 5 years old. I seem to have done everthing right, with the exception of maybe not fertilizing enough. I had used Miracle-Gro. I will also now repot the bulb. Any suggestions on what type of soil should be used when repotting? The bulb is currently in permalite.
I also noticed that in additon to the two leaves which this plant had, two new leaves are developing in the center, so this amaryllis will have at least four leaves this season.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”