Pampas Grass

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
tdunn
antispam: no
city_state: seven valleys, pa

Pampas Grass

Post by tdunn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:49 am

I've just started some Pampas Grass from a Ferry-Morse seed packet. The packet claims that it's a perennial and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's a reliable perennial in south central Pennsylvania-zone 6.

Thanks

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Pampas Grass

Post by lorijones » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:19 pm

It depends upon the variety of pampas grass you planted whether it would be hardy in your area. The most cold hardy variety of pampas grass that I know of is Cortaderia selloana 'Pumila'. This is marginally hardy in Zone 6. Check the packet and see if it lists the species but I rather doubt it will be hardy in your area of PA.

tdunn
city_state: seven valleys, pa

Re: Pampas Grass

Post by tdunn » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks Lori for responding to both of my inquiries. I'll contact Ferry-Morse as the packet doesn't indicate what variety the seeds are and continue to test my patience with the Stephanotis.

Tom

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”