Looking for certain perennials

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
vasummer
antispam: no
city_state: Southwest of Charlottesville, VA

Looking for certain perennials

Post by vasummer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:00 pm

I live fairly close to Andre's nursery, in the Rockfish Valley. Can you tell me if the three perennials below will be available this spring at his garden center?

Salvia - 'May Night'; Rudbeckia fulgida var. 'Fulgida'; and Echinops 'Ritro'. I would be purchasing 12 plants.

Please note that the Rudbeckia designated as 'Fulgida' is NOT 'Goldstrum'. Here's a description of it: "Think 'Goldstrum' with longer flowering season, mid-July into October. A bit shorter and more compact. Vigorously flowering with brown-eyed yellow daisies over rich green foliage." In my all-day-hot-sun perennial garden, the Goldstrum variety wilted and was taller than I'd like. This new variety found in a perennial catalog offers a shorter, more compact plant that I wanted to try.

I am fairly sure Andre would have 'May Night'. It's a wonderful plant. And I'm thinking the Globe Thistle 'Ritro' would also be one I could find there. Can you verify the availability of these three? Thanks much.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Looking for certain perennials

Post by lorijones » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm fairly certain that we will have all of these plants at least by May. Please feel free to contact the nursery (800-575-5538) once our garden center opens in April to see when they will be available.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”