How to overwinter a helleborus & hydrangea

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
kmcc54
antispam: no

How to overwinter a helleborus & hydrangea

Post by kmcc54 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:44 am

I recently bought a blooming helleborus (gold collection, HGC Jacob) and a small 'shooting star' hydrangea (lacecap) that is also blooming. I would like to plant these outside in the spring. How can I overwinter them? Many thanks for your help. Leesburg, Va

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: How to overwinter a helleborus & hydrangea

Post by lorijones » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:23 pm

A lot depends on where these plants came from and how big they are. I am assuming they are in pots. If they were growing outside at a local garden center or at a garden center that is in the same climate or colder than you are, the best thing to do is to plant them right now and mulch them heavily to keep them from heaving out of the ground. These plants will be hardened and should be fine outside in the ground. If they have been growing indoors in a greenhouse, they will be more tender and the wood will not be hardened and matured. You can still plant them outdoors but the stems my dieback. If they came from a warmer climate through mail order, you may have to try to overwinter them in a protected area such as a garage. If they are in smaller pots it will be a challenge to keep them watered through the winter. If this is the case, you could always pot them up into larger containers that would be easier to keep watered.

Return to “Growing Perennials & Bulbs”