Bensonhurst Purple Fig

Click here if you have general tree or shrub questions don't fit into one of the categories below.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
tdunn
antispam: no
city_state: seven valleys, pa

Bensonhurst Purple Fig

Post by tdunn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm located in York County, Pa. Last year I planted four Bensonhurst Figs along the south facing wall of the garage. Is the Bensonhurst as cold hardy as claimed which is -10 deg. Fahrenheit? No extra protection was provided for the trees because of their supposed cold tolerance. Is there a way for me to tell if they're still alive?

Thank you very much,

Tom Dunnock
Seven Valleys, PA

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Bensonhurst Purple Fig

Post by lorijones » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Yes these figs are supposed to be hardy to Zone 6. I have no experience with this variety, though. One thing I saw indicated that they may die back completely to the ground but they will come up from the roots in the spring. You can tell if the above ground portion is alive by scratching the bark on a branch or stem. If it is green underneath, then that portion is still alive. If it does die back completely, then you can prune back the dead wood and it should regrow from below the soil level. I would wait to do any pruning until growth begins again in the spring so you don't accidentally cut back live wood. Let us know how they do for you.

tdunn

Post by tdunn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks Lori for the info. Will let you know how they do.

tdunn

Post by tdunn » Sat May 25, 2013 11:19 am

Hi Lori,

Wanted to let you know that all four Bensonhurst Fig trees have started to grow. Two of the trees started a couple of weeks later than the other two.

Thanks again,

Tom

Return to “General Questions”