Putting the garden to bed

Post here if you have insects eating up your vegetable crops
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
SquarefootStacie
antispam: no
city_state: Henrico

Putting the garden to bed

Post by SquarefootStacie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:52 am

I have had a horrible time with cucumber beetles, bean beetles and the resulting viruses. As I settle the 4X4 squares for there rest for the winter, is there anything I can do to help the garden come spring? I have pulled all the affected plants and threw them out, but I was wondering if there was anything I could add to the soil to help.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Putting the garden to bed

Post by lorijones » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:12 am

The best thing to do this fall is to add some good organic compost and some Plant-tone or Garden-tone. This will breakdown over the winter and provide good nutrients for your plants in the spring. Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do now to help control these beetles. The time to control them is in the spring. Bacterial wilt that the cucumber beetles spread can be devastating to cucumber crops and other cucurbits. It is best to plant varieties that are more resistant.

One thing you can do is to use row covers to protect your plants from the beetles. The row covers would have to be removed once the plants begin to flower so pollination can occur but by then the plants are more mature and less susceptible to damage. When you see the beetles, they can be controlled with by spraying Bonide Eight according to the label directions. Bayer Advanced Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control is a systemic insect control that is labelled for various beetles on vegetables. This product is poured at the base of the plants and is taken up by the roots. Use only according to the label directions and pay close attention to the pre-harvest interval.

SquarefootStacie
city_state: Henrico

Re: Putting the garden to bed

Post by SquarefootStacie » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:58 am

Thank you so much! I will definitely add some Garden tone and try the systemic insecticide in the spring. I tried to spray with eight, but I must not have sprayed often enough the wilt was awful!.

Return to “Vegetables”