Growing Heirloom tomatoes from seeds

Post here if you have insects eating up your vegetable crops
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Rosemary

Growing Heirloom tomatoes from seeds

Post by Rosemary » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 pm

I started my heirlooms from seeds and now that my tomatoes are about 6-8" tall I'm noticing a few have yellowing on some lower leaves. My question is should I use a fertilizer and what kind/type. I wont be transplanting outside until late April early May. I live in zone 7B
Thank you

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Growing Heirloom tomatoes from seeds

Post by lorijones » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:16 pm

It is normal for some older/lower leaves to turn yellow. These will eventually dry up and fall off. Normally we don't recommend fertilizing tomato plants indoors unless they are being grown in a greenhouse. Tomato plants may grow too large if given too much nitrogen. Depending on the soil mix you used (some have nutrient started fertilizers that last up to 6 weeks), you can feed your tomatoes with 1/2 strength general purpose liquid plant food.

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 pm

thanks for the reply, I was worried my plants were dying.

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 pm

now that all my tomatoes are in the ground some are looking really bad. I transplanted about 4 weeks ago. We've had no freezing temps, but we did get down to 50 several nights. Some of the leaves are curled and yellowy. I did use tomato tone when I transplanted. What should I do with the sickly looking plants?
Thanks for your help

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 am

Were your tomatoes hardened off when you planted them out? The foliage can be burned back and damaged by sun and wind if they are not properly hardened off before planting. Has any herbicide been sprayed in the area? This could also be herbicide damage. I can even drift in from a neighbor's yard and cause damage. If it is mostly the lower, older leaves that are damaged, then they will probably be okay. I would fertilize them with a liquid fertilizer and see if they recover. It is most likely and environmental issue and not a disease.

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 pm

for the most part they were not hardened off; although I did take them in and out of doors, just not long enough I think. No herbicides have been used or sprayed near them. The older leaves are what is damaged; I do see new growth that looks good A liquid fertilizer? Can you tell me what kind. I do have tomato tone in granular.
Thank you

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Fri May 17, 2013 10:23 am

A liquid fertilizer like Espoma Gro-tone Organic Liquid Plant Food or Miracle-Gro would be good. It sounds like it was just an issue of them not being hardened off. They will recover eventually; it will just set them back a bit.

Return to “Vegetables”