field rats

Post here if you are having trouble with pesky squirrels, chipmunks, or rats in the garden.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
shadow
antispam: no
city_state: oxford-nj

field rats

Post by shadow » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:29 am

I have a corn field behind my house and I have FIELD RATS (not mice) that took up dwelling in my tomatoe garden and eating all my tomatoes as they ripen. How do I get rd of them? oxford nj

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: field rats

Post by lorijones » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Since they are coming from the field, there will probably be a constant influx of the critters. Poison baits would not be an option because this is in your vegetable garden and also the dead rats might be eaten by another predator which cold then be harmed or even killed. Trapping might be a possibility but you might try a strong repellent such as Bonide Repels-All Granules (http://www.bonide.com/products/product. ... ry_id=2360) according to label directions. This also comes in a liquid concentrate. There is another repellent by Bonide called Mouse Magic that comes in packs that you can place in the garden that might work, too. It doesn't list rats specifically but it has a very strong spearmint smell that might keep rats out of the garden as well. Good luck!

carolnell

Post by carolnell » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:23 am

I had a problem with mice & rats in my shed about 2yrs ago. Haven't had any trouble since using Mouse Magic. And it smells good! It's a perfect solution for use around my dog & cats (who I guess are too well fed to keep up with the rodents). Wish I had heard of the Mouse Magic before they chewed an entrance hole in the shed's wood floor! :shock:

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:54 am

That's wonderful! I'm glad to hear you are having such great success with Bonide Mouse Magic. It's always good to get feedback on the products we recommend. Thank you so much for your comments!

Return to “Squirrels, Chipmunks, and Rats”