squirrels eating plants

Post here if you are having trouble with pesky squirrels, chipmunks, or rats in the garden.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
drjatie
antispam: no
city_state: Harrisonburg VA

squirrels eating plants

Post by drjatie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:33 pm

For the first time in a number of years the squirrels have started eating my geraniums around my patio. They gradually eat, or chew, them right down to where the stems come out of the soil in the pot. I have spayed them with Critter Ridder but that hasn't helped at all. I'm open to suggestions while I still have some geraniums left!

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: squirrels eating plants

Post by lorijones » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:56 am

You might try spraying with Bonide Repels All. This product has different ingredients than just the Critter Ridder including garlic, dried blood, whole egg solids, clove, fish oil, onion, wintergreen. Perhaps it might work better. According to the label, it causes a mild irritation to the animal's nasal passages which triggers a natural instinct to escape/avoid and the animal runs away. I hope this helps.

Return to “Squirrels, Chipmunks, and Rats”