Zoysia Grass

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about insect pests and diseases of the lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn pests and diseases.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
michael
antispam: no
city_state: mechanicsville, virginia

Zoysia Grass

Post by michael » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:43 am

My yard is covered in zoysia grass and for the last two years these rings have appeared. There are four perfectly formed rings in my yard about 6 feet across. The inside of the ring is green grass, the outer band of the ring is a light brown. What is causing this and how do I cure it. Any help would be great.

I live in Mechanicsville, Virginia

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Zoysia Grass

Post by lorijones » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:29 am

Do you see any mushrooms associated with these rings in your lawn? You are probably seeing the effects of a fairy ring of mushrooms. My brother-in-law just sent me the picture below a few weeks ago.
FairyRingDeadGrass.jpg
The black spots are the remnants of the mushrooms.
FairyRingDeadGrass.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
He doesn't have a zoysia lawn but the effect on other grasses is the same. There are certain species of fairy ring mushrooms that kill the grass at the outer edge of the growing mycelium and others that cause a flush of bright green grass growth at the outer edge. Most of the fairy rings I have seen are the latter. You may or may not always see the actual fruiting bodies (mushrooms) associated with the fairy ring - they pop up when conditions are favorable. Here is a blog post I wrote about fairy rings: http://viettes.wordpress.com/2011/09/16 ... %e2%80%a6/.
The fungi are feeding on organic matter in the soil. There isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent this short of replacing the soil! The best thing to do is to dethatch the dead area, amend the soil with an organic fertilizer, and wait for the existing grass to fill in the dead area or reseed with something like Scotts E-Z Seed. Another link about mushrooms in the lawn: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=116.

Return to “Lawn Insects & Diseases”