Grub Control and reseeding

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about insect pests and diseases of the lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn pests and diseases.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
allin7614
antispam: no
city_state: Richmond VA

Grub Control and reseeding

Post by allin7614 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:58 pm

I believe I have a grub problem. Can I apply a grub control agent (Triazicide / Gamma Cyhalothrin) when I reseed. If not, how long after germination should I wait to apply.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Grub Control and reseeding

Post by lorijones » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:44 pm

By this time of year the grubs have grown pretty large. The best product to use now to kill these larger grubs is one containing trichlorfon (Dylox) such as Bayer Advanced 24 Hour Grub Killer Plus or one containing carbaryl (Sevin). Products containing only gamma cyhalothrin and Triazicide will not work for grub control because they bind with the soil and do not make it down to where the grubs are - so stay away from those.
As far as reseeding, from what I have read, it is better to wait a week or so after applying trichlorfon or carbaryl before you reseed especially if you have a grub problem. These products can take up to 14 days to begin killing the grubs and you want to make sure the grubs are dead before the tender young roots of the new grass begin to grow!

Return to “Lawn Insects & Diseases”