Red beetle looking bugs in grass

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about insect pests and diseases of the lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn pests and diseases.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
BParker

Red beetle looking bugs in grass

Post by BParker » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:56 pm

My St. Augustine grass is full of bugs that appear to be beetles; they are approx 3/8/to 1/2" long with redwings and 2 orange stripes on each wing. I'd like to know what they are and if I should try getting of them.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Red beetle looking bugs in grass

Post by lorijones » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:05 pm

These could be boxelder beetles or if they are a bit smaller, they could be chinch bugs. Either way you can control them with Bonide Eight Yard & Garden hose end spray or Bayer Advanced Powerforce Multi-Insect Killer which also comes in a hose end sprayer.

Return to “Lawn Insects & Diseases”