mulch

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about insect pests and diseases of the lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn pests and diseases.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
pinetree
antispam: no

mulch

Post by pinetree » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:12 pm

I have mulched my lawn around my house and now have dark pinpoint size spots on my white siding. Some have called these spots, shotgun spores, which is a decaying process from the mulch. What can i do to prevent these spores? I live in southcentral Pennsylvania.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: mulch

Post by lorijones » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 am

You are right - this is probably caused by spores "shot" out by the "shotgun" or "artillery" fungus. These spots are nearly impossible to clean off white siding! Unfortunately there is no listed fungicide to control this type of fungus. Management strategies that can help are to cover old mulch with a shallow layer of fresh mulch each year, use bark mulch rather than wood mulch, or even breaking up the surface of the mulch with a rake once a month may help.

pinetree

Re: mulch

Post by pinetree » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Thank you for the information I will take this into consideration, when landscaping.

Return to “Lawn Insects & Diseases”