Brown spots in fescue

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about insect pests and diseases of the lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn pests and diseases.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
LEE IN VA.
antispam: no
city_state: Chesapeake_VA

Brown spots in fescue

Post by LEE IN VA. » Sat May 18, 2013 11:21 pm

I have a new "Southern Belle" fescue lawn here in Chesapeake VA (southeast area of the state) my lawn has looked great this spring and was newly planted by me this fall. I have had many comments on how good it looked until yesterday when I saw many brown spots, they are crunchy when walking over them. Its also losing its dark green color in other spots too. Its been dry and warming up some here but I don't think it has caused this damage. Any help please?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Brown spots in fescue

Post by lorijones » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Sorry to respond to this so late. I checked with Andre and he thought it almost looked like an overdose of a weed killer like too much weed and feed or something similar. It is not likely that it is a grub problem because it is more widespread in the lawn and not patchy.

Have you irrigated the lawn if it has been dry? Grass planted in the fall may not have developed deep roots yet and may be more prone to drought damage if it is not watered deeply every week or 10 days during dry weather.

If it is a disease problem, a broad spectrum fungicide like Bonide Infuse which is a systemic fungicide might help if applied according to the label directions.

LEE IN VA.

Post by LEE IN VA. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks Lori, I saw your response soon after you posted. The grass came back.in that spot, I'm pretty sure it was from lack of water.

I have another problem with most of my yard esp. my back yard. My fescue has all turned brown, I'm pretty sure its a fungus. Will the infuse stop the fungus and will the grass eventually come back green or does it just prevent fungus?

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Yes Bonide Infuse can be used as a treatment once disease appears. The grass should recover depending on the severity of the disease. Good luck.

LEE IN VA.

Post by LEE IN VA. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Ok thanks, ill give it a try. Hopefully ill post some beautiful pics of my lawn this fall. It was really great looking this spring.

LEE IN VA.

Post by LEE IN VA. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 am

I put down the Infuse hose end type this past weekend. Any idea on how long till I may see some life come back to my fescue or when I should treat it again? It looks so bad now, all matted down and other wire grass and junk grass is coming up. Hopefully it doesn't take over, I was hoping not to have to overseed this fall but I might have to. Like I said my yard was so beautiful this spring, by looking at it now you would never have believed me unless you saw it then.

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Wow - sorry you are having such a problem. The timing of a second treatment with Infuse depends upon the disease that is infecting your grass. It could be anywhere from 14 days apart to 28 days apart. It may be that your grass was under stress from lack of water in the early summer and became susceptible to the disease you are seeing. Healthy, well-maintained grass will have an easier time recovering from disease and insect damage. It is possible that the grass won't fully recover and overseeding will be necessary.
Be sure to keep your grass watered deeply every 7-10 days in the summer and cut your fescue at 3"-3 1/2". This will help shade out weeds. Fertilize with Espoma Lawn Food this month and again in the spring. Next year, begin treating with Infuse earlier in the season according to the label directions.

LEE IN VA.

Post by LEE IN VA. » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Lori, I'm planning on core aerating and slit seeding next weekend. Will this disease effect my newly planted grass? It's still spreading and has wiped out 90% of my fescue. I have used the infuse twice.

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:41 pm

I am checking with Andre ...

LEE IN VA.

Post by LEE IN VA. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 pm

I've replanted and the grass is coming in good. I've been wondering if my problem could have been grubs? If so can I still treat for grubs with the newly planted seed? Do I need to do any disease prevention now or not until the spring?

Return to “Lawn Insects & Diseases”