Powdery Mildew on Lawn in Marlboro NJ

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about insect pests and diseases of the lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn pests and diseases.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
bsb
antispam: no
city_state: Marlboro, NJ

Powdery Mildew on Lawn in Marlboro NJ

Post by bsb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Last Spring I had powdery mildew on my front lawn which faces North. It only gets sunlight late in the afternoon. It stunted the growth of the grass but fortunately did not kill the grass. Is there anything I can do to prevent the powdery mildew from recurring next Spring?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Powdery Mildew on Lawn in Marlboro NJ

Post by lorijones » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:35 pm

This could be snow mold. Snow mold is sometimes seen in the spring after the snow melts and is more common when heavy snow has fallen on unfrozen ground. I know that we didn't get much snow last winter but I do remember that we got a few late winter snow storms. Snow mold (and powdery mildew for that matter) is generally not a serious problem and fungicide applications are not recommended. The normal recommendation is simply to lightly rake the area to allow the grass to dry more quickly. This also disrupts the growth of the fungi. In most cases, the grass will slowly recover and green up - just a little slower than the rest of the lawn. If there is anything you can do to increase the amount of sun getting to the lawn such as selectively pruning of the trees, this will also help with the problem of mildew on the grass. Sometimes small patches of grass may be killed and these areas can be over-seeded and then top dressed with a thin layer of good quality compost.

bsb
city_state: Marlboro, NJ

Re: Powdery Mildew on Lawn in Marlboro NJ

Post by bsb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Lawn Insects & Diseases”