Lawn bees - huge

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about insect pests and diseases of the lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn pests and diseases.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Angeline12
antispam: no
city_state: Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567

Lawn bees - huge

Post by Angeline12 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:22 am

Huge Bees - yellow eyes and large multi strips on bottom body in yellow. Hover over holes in ground which they cover by digging out lots of dirt. Nice size stinger. Catches other large bugs. Large wings also. What can I do to get rid of them. This is my first year with these bees. But just found out some of my neighbors had them before and have a lot this year. This is my first year and would like to stop them from coming back.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Lawn bees - huge

Post by lorijones » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:11 pm

These are probably cicada killer wasps. The best control is to dissuade them from using your lawn for their nesting area. Here is a great website that has some good information about these wasps: http://sites.lafayette.edu/hollidac/res ... ler-wasps/. There is a link near the bottom of the page with suggestions for controlling them.
In addition to these suggestions, Sevin dust can be applied in and around the entrance to their tunnels at night when they are in the burrow. When you no longer see activity at the nest, just cover the hole with a shovelful of soil.

Return to “Lawn Insects & Diseases”