improper watering?

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about insect pests and diseases of the lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn pests and diseases.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
alfarnhamjr
antispam: no

improper watering?

Post by alfarnhamjr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Last Spring I planted Pennington K-31 in a new lawn. I set the sprinklers to water every day from 5 am to 7 am. I got all long stalks (like a wheatfield), and it all died off. Did I cause this?

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: improper watering?

Post by lorijones » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:25 pm

How did you prepare the seed bed before and after putting spreading the seed? Did you cover the seed with a mulch of straw? It almost sounds to me like the grass seed didn't germinate and instead straw seed germinated. Did it look like any of the turfgrass germinated? It definitely would not have looked like what you described. Perhaps the seed was bad or it is possible that it was overwatered. The seed bed should be watered just enough to keep the top 1 inch of soil moist at all times but not soggy. Running the sprinklers everyday for 2 hours, may have been too much water especially if it was early in the spring when temperatures were cooler. You almost have to check each day to determine if you need to water. Overwatering can cause the seed to rot.

Return to “Lawn Insects & Diseases”